Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day 4

Monday, Sept. 30th, was fun.  Taking our own “cutoff”,  we didn't meet up with the trail until the Lombard Ferry on the Green River near Farson, Wyoming. I prepared for this trip by accumulating a collection of books I thought would be helpful while traveling near the trail. 

The following are the books I have with me:

Traveling the Oregon Trail by Julie Fanselow -  This book hits the high spots to see but has little detail and no diary quotes

National Historic Trails – Auto Tour Route Interpretive Guides – National Park Service – There is a different booklet for each state.  They are also a good guide for points to stop along the trail but with little detail. 

California Trail Yesterday and Today, Mormon Trail Yesterday and Today , and Oregon Trail Yesterday and Today, three books by William E. Hill   - These have pictures of spots along the trail comparing an historic photo or drawing to the present day view.  There are diary quotes but they aren’t organized to easily find a quote for the place you are stopping at.   There is a list of stopping points and museums with a short description.   I haven’t used these as much as I probably should.

AAA Guide Books – I haven’t found them very helpful.  I liked the old format better.

The Oregon Trail Revisited by Gregory Franzwa   - This is my favorite!  The detail is incredible.  I can’t imagine how long it took him to research and write this 400 page book.  Included are detailed descriptions of how to get to trail segments off the beaten path.  We aren't doing that as we are pulling the trailer and haven’t stopped long enough to unhook and explore.  It was originally published in 1972.  My edition was revised in 1988 but that was still before GPS.   Coordinates for stops would really be helpful.  There are great diary quotes and descriptions – lots of detail. 

Maps of he California Trail   by Gregory Franzwa -    This is a book of detailed trail maps. I have both Franzwa’s  books open on my lap  to the area we are traveling in. 

As Glen drives I tell him which side of the road the trail is on or how far off the road it is and I read him the diary quotes and area descriptions.  On Monday this kept me busy all the time as the route from Farson to Casper has lots of great trail stops.  My biggest problem using all these books is working backwards.  They are organized from east to west and we are traveling west to east so I have to work from the back of the book towards the front.   I lose my place all the time.  
Wyoming has great historical marker signs along the highway and we stop at every one, read it, take pictures and sometimes walk around.  The wind was fierce on Monday and there were flashing advisories against traveling the road with light trailers.  Glen didn't think ours qualified as light.  If a Casita isn’t light I don’t know what is.  Anyway we made it. 

Some of the favorite stops were:

Big Hill – This was the biggest hill the emigrants had to cross so far.  You can see the trail from the highway on the hill in the distance.
From the Storyboard at the Stop


South Pass Overlook – This is one everyone stops at.  I could just see wagons coming over that hill as I stood looking at it.


Split Rock -  A landmark the emigrants looked for.


Devil’s Gate – Another landmark for the emigrants.


Independence Rock -  We stopped here in 1986 on a trip with our two six year olds and Grandma across the country.  We traveled in a cabover camper .  What a trip!  When I taught 4th grade the kids played the “Oregon Trail” computer game at school.  Independence Rock was in the game and “Johnson” was a name carved by emigrants on the rock.  I always imagined it was my great grandfather who did it.  Yesterday I looked at a book listing all the names found on the rock and it wasn't him.  Oh well. 

This is probably more than anyone wants to read.  But if you want to follow the trail from Casper to Fort Laramie with us check in tomorrow. 
Dee


No comments:

Post a Comment